Friday, January 27, 2006

5th Grade Journals

The problem with my journal assignment for the fifth grade is that after three years of "learning" English, they shouldВ know the basic verbs such as to be, to have, to eat, to walk, to read, to write, to work, etc., but they don't. Instead, they are surprised as all hell when I use a word on the board for the 63rd time. Thus, their ability to form cogent sentences is somewhat limited. This is the class that I can teach the concept of 'sВ for 90 minutes over the course of two days, write 's on the hands of half of my students,В give them a homework assignment with it, and not have a single student come back with the homework done correctly. How these students can possibly turn into the anything resembling the semi-competent sixth graders that I inherited, I have no idea. That being said, a few interesting sentences, some of them obviously copied with absolutely no idea of their meaning:

Elevei ii place English.

Moi sistra are ninten.

Invatatorul de English is Mistra Pita.

Doinita are un brother.

My sister works at a joint venture.

We are five in the famili. Father, monter my sitra my brother and me.

My sistra is mad of her knittnig.

I am o cioclati.

I've also packed my cotton shorts.

Doll the dress orange, is hat too.

I locve's piknic ciocolata.

My bes regards to wear ties, too.

And my personal favorite of the day,

Give me e paing kiler plase.

I couldn't have said it better myself.


2 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Invatatorul de English is Mistra Pita.
This is outlandishly funny to anyone who knows Romanian... So you're "Mistra Pita Maias" now, huh?

My sister works at a joint venture.

Well, this is legit. She meant joint venture company which is often abbreviated to "joint venture". So no, it's not the joint you may be thinking of.

I am o cioclati.

This is pretty funny too. "am" in Romanian is "have" (1st person singular), so "Eu am" means "I have". I guess the student meant that she has a chocolate.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,

I found your blog last Fall as I was preparing for my Fulbright (I am teaching in Chisinau now). I have lurked quite a bit and wanted to compliment you on the quality of the insights and stories--they are an excellent resource. Let me know the next time you are in Chisinau as I would enjoy chatting some about your experiences (I am sure teaching in the village is a lot different from teaching in the universities). My e-mail is grant_jc@mercer.edu--hope to hear from you soon.

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home